July 25, 2009

Thinking

About summer. And seasons. And trying to soak it all in.

Lately my life has been busy and rewarding and full on so many levels that it leaves me stressed out about fitting everything (especially some summer fun) in. There has only been one trip to the beach so far this year and I just realized that I haven't seen Steph, my closest CA friend since April. April! Life is just rushing by, August is rapidly approaching and I'm having trouble getting it all done.

It seems that when I fall behind at one project it permeates over to other areas of my life and I begin to feel unproductive and unable to accomplish even the simplest task. Lately I have had the luxury of being able to use a car in NYC, whether I am behind the wheel or being driven. This has been an amazing, eye opening experience. What was once an hour trip on the subway to pick up canning jars is suddenly a half hour (complete with a trunk and very little sweat). This has spoiled me--one of the joys (joys?) of living in the city is that you can be completely self sufficient without a car, I must not loose sight of this.

Yes, I am going to start looking at my life as busy and full and, most of the time, a complete blast. I'm going to spend the rest of the summer relishing the small moments in an attempt to get through all of the many demands and projects. A day without rain (ha, maybe that's what feels wrong--the "summer" temperatures are completely off). But you can still find the perfect peach. Or enjoy the breeze in the park--which are all green and lush. You can glimpse an occasional firefly-even here in the city. Or one can spend an evening watching the neighbors from the front stoop, campari and soda in hand. Now that's summer.

No comments: