November 21, 2008

Thinking (again)

We all have friends like this. Friends that despite your differences, despite the miles and oceans and all of our various habits remain an extension of you. Char, you immediately come to mind. Despite our differences we are remarkably similar. I so envy you, and can envision you re-establishing yourself in Calistoga. I know your views as you move about town, I know the way the valley smells this time of year. I too know the plates you are eating toast off of and the tea pot you are pouring tea out of. And I know I think of you as I pour myself a steaming cup of tea and sip it (in the bitter bitter morning cold mind you) outside on my porch looking out at the garden next door. This makes me feel close to you. Just as setting myself a place at my own kitchen table, complete with a napkin and a re-arranging of the flowers in the vase in front of me reminds me of you dear Shiloh. Is this what it means to be connected? Is this friendship? Or is this just being a citizen of the world? Either way, there are certain people that see the world in your same "palate" - people who feel things and view their world in similar arrangements and patterns and in similar colors. Are you attracted to these people or just naturally drawn to them? Either way I love the idea of this blog. How cool would it be to see how these similarities play out?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

this is good stuff

Anonymous said...

LIV!!! What lovely thoughts. I can imagine you on that porch, too, freezing to death just to experience Being There. Ah the romance of NY. ...I was thinking of you this weekend too. I used the bowl you gave me, blue winter trees on white, and all my little clay ramekins (bought in Chinatown, NYC - I have to come back for more), thinking of you and Laura too, and just realizing how our lives are expanding away from each other but still moving parallel, and we can pull them back in, intersecting at intervals and growing from our own and each others' experiences. Miss you and am so glad you're just a jetplane away. :o)

MUCH Love, Shiloh