May 31, 2009

Thinking

About changes and trying new things. I've never really thought of myself as a baker. A cook, yes, I know how to chop and season and put ingredients together but the idea of measuring and exact amounts has always made me avoid baking. Yesterday morning I woke up early and embarked on an epic baking adventure. I have been eyeing some serious carrot cakes lately and thought I would try to make my own for Laena's birthday party. Once I got started I couldn't stop (that or the caffeine was kicking in) and cupcakes were the next order of the day--chocolate and vanilla with fancy frostings. Finally a reason to use the rosewater I bought at Wegmans in Rochester last December!. The finished product, well you can check it out below. The true success--nothing but clean plates to clean up this morning (as in licking the plate good).



Which brings me to the thoughts about changes. This new job (2 weeks in) has me feeling kind of stressed out and unsure of myself. I have been attempting to slow down and remind myself that this is in fact a new job and I'm not expected to be perfect-yet (the desire for doing things perfectly is my issue, not the jobs). Just like baking a cake, I can do this as long as I follow directions and not deviate too far in the my own direction-not yet at least. For someone who claims to not be able to bake and not be fond of change yesterday was proof that I can do anything, as long as I am patient and am willing to learn new things. The bonus? I might even find that I enjoy it (if only working came with icing and a cherry on top).

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I have totally been to the Wegman's in Rochester. Good store. Who doesn't like cupcakes? I feel you on the constraints of baking, I hate doing the measuring stuff, would much rather just throw stuff that sounds good together into a pan. We should cook together.

Liv said...

Yes, our last breakfast was a huge success and, if I remember correctly a feast of breakfast meats. Mmmhhh. How is the veggie garden?