March 9, 2009

Thinking

Something interesting is happening. As I approach my one year mark here in NYC the city has begun to lose a bit of it's shine. I'd like to blame it on the weather, this winter business is no joke and has really dug in it's heels. I am so ready to hang up my coats and bust out my summer wardrobe. I am ready to leave my gloves and beanies and scarves at home and not miss them once the sun sets. I think I have an honest to goodness case of cabin fever. At night my dreams are of the countryside or rivers or the ocean and during the day I fantasize about jumping into a car and driving along an open road. It seems funny that one of the things I miss most about California was something I used to complain about--the driving. Lately, however, I have missed the freedom a car affords and I miss the ease with which one could take a short drive and get a complete change of scenery. Here I am limited by where public transportation can take me and I'm starting to feel a little boxed in. Sometimes when a train is delayed for no apparent reason or when it stops between stations or when an express suddenly starts to run local I feel like screaming...or crying. It turns out that life in New York is much like life anywhere. You work, you sleep, you do your laundry and sometimes there's a foot of snow for your morning commute. I guess what has happened is that I have acclimated. And now, like so many other New Yorkers, I am waiting for the bulbs that are just beginning to push through the cold, hard soil to burst into bloom. I know that soon spring will overtake the city and I will fall madly in love with it again. And I can't wait.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow. Great thoughts. Even though it's all about NY, this post could be about "NE"-where. New adventures are so exciting, but the longer you live them, the more they become routine. Sometimes it's tough to feel that rush again, until you see that one tiny spark, that shoot of green, that brings the magic right back. As I get closer to my wedding (this commitment stuff is wacky), I've been thinking about this too. Wishing SUN and Springtime for you & can't wait to see you SOON! ~Shi