March 3, 2009

Lentil Soup

Soups are one my favorite things to make, in part because they are so forgiving. Just throw in a bunch of ingredients, let simmer and voila! And then there's the fact that they taste so much better the next day, you just have to love anything that makes even better leftovers! And nothing tastes better on a cold winter's day (wait, is it March?) than lentil soup.

My first lentil soups all followed a pretty basic recipe (culled from the Joy of Cooking and Moosewood--my first cookbooks!). To this basic recipe I have added all sorts of things, usually whatever I have lurking around in the fridge. Although I have read all sorts of interesting recipes and testimonies about French lentils and blue lentils and red lentils I have never before experimented, using instead the basic green lentils one usually finds sold in bulk. But, while my dad was visiting last month I took him to a few of my favorite grocery stores (we both love a good market) and I was immediately drawn to this package of lentils.



Yes, I am even a sucker for lentil packaging (you should see what happens in Sephora). This pretty box sat around being admired in the cupboard for about a month and then on Sunday, with reports of a giant snowstorm, inspiration hit. I needed a recipe that would match my fancy lentils and so I browsed through the Fields of Greens Cookbook to see what they suggested. Drawing on ingredients I had on hand I borrowed the idea of Roasted Garlic from their Mexican Lentil Soup with Roasted Garlic and Chilies recipe and sweet potato from their Moroccan inspired rendition. The results? Fantastic (if I do say so myself)! I topped mine with a handful of sauteed spinach and a dollop of greek yogurt.



**Basic Lentil Soup Recipe

1 large carrot, diced
2 medium celery stalks, diced
1 medium yellow onion, diced
a handful of chopped garlic
1/2 a red bell pepper (if desired and in your fridge)
2 potatoes (sweet or otherwise), diced
approx 2 cups of lentils--picked over and rinsed! (French green lentils are my new favorites but experiment!)
about 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
Cup of white wine
a little over 2 cups of broth (chicken or veggie)
1 case of diced tomatoes
sea salt and ground black pepper
cumin, coriander, ground ginger
1 bay leaf

In a large pot, saute the garlic and onions for a minute in olive oil, then add the celery and carrots. Season. Cook until veggies begin to soften, then add the wine and let simmer for a minute. Add broth. Dump in the lentils and the potatoes and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer. Serve once lentils are soft.

**Modifications

I roasted a whole head of garlic (about 30 minutes at 450) and substituted it for the raw garlic, sauteing it with the other veggies. Gave the soup a nice depth and richness.

Because it was all I had on hand, I added canned fire roasted tomatoes to my soup which offered a nice smokiness.

Delicious with a fried egg on top! Or fried shallots. Or both.



**Up next: Tangy Red Lentil Soup with Nicoise Olives, bring it on winter!

No comments: