June 24, 2008

On Moving

"A place belongs forever to whoever claims it hardest, remembers it most obsessively, wrenches it from itself, shapes it, renders it, loves it so radically that he remakes it in his image" (Joan Didion)

I was so concerned about returning to San Diego and although I did cry as I landed (my first glimpse of a purple jacaranda tree set me off) and again as I took off (just getting to the airport required several glasses of wine) I am so happy to be back in NYC today I almost started skipping when I walked into Central Park this morning. It was good and nourishing to see the Pacific Ocean, the familiar stores up and down Garnet, my lovely friends and their smiling faces, good to ride a bike, pick a lemon, jump into a pool and soak up some California sunshine but I am ready to be here. I guess what I now know is that all of those things I love about and in San Diego are not going anywhere and I can easily slip back into the rythm of the place. Just as I can easily slip back into NYC.

No comments: